Thursday, March 11, 2010

Since I'm hours from good fishing......

I'm still trying to make knives.

My humble shop. Yeah, it's a mess. I started cleaning it out and didn't finish.





My knives. The top two are back from heat treat. The top one is 3/16" 1095 carbon steel @ 57 RC and the second is 1/8" 1095 @ 60 RC. I cleaned them up a little and put a quick edge on them to see how they cut/chop. I'm pretty happy with them. I need to get them handled.

The bottom four are new ones I ground while waiting for the first two to come back. They are all around 4" blades from 1/8" O1 carbon steel. The third one down is a Kephart style blade, the fourth just a nice drop point, the fifth a spear point and the last I made to be more of a skinner. I need to do a little more sanding and the O1 blades will be ready for heat treat also.


At this point I plan on making the handles with homemade ivory denim or linen micarta with red liners and either brass or nickel silver pins and lanyard tubes. I made these slabs for the big chopper out a pair of white denim jeans I got at a thrift store. I'm making some more for the other knives out of my old church shirts.


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's amazing! You're so talented, you make me sick. Love, Steph

Kiirstin said...

So I'm really curious about the process. When we come to visit someday will you show me?