Saturday, April 17, 2010

Life has come full circle

At around age 14 or 15 I remember spending a good half day thinking about how to use all the tools in the garage to make a knife. I spent the second half of the day doing something else and life went on. Nearly two decades later I have learned to appreciate a nice knife and finally got around to making one of my own. I can cross it off my bucket list.

For my first knife I was swinging for the fences but I think I pulled it off. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Now that I know I can pull off the big one I've got some smaller ones ready to go.

3/16" 1095 carbon steel
~17" overall length
heat treated to 57 RC
White denim Mycarta w/ red liners
Brass pins and lanyard tube.
Hand finished blade and handle to 400 grit.















7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Very impressive D.

Anonymous said...

creepy

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cam said...

That looks pretty sweet. We will have to come out for a visit and you can teach me the art.

Brock & Kim said...

WOW, impressive. I love the artistic touch of the photographs. You should enter it into one of your photo contests:)

Brock said...

I want one...really!

Brock

Cam said...

Now that I have held the knife (while visitng for Mason's baptism), I am even more impressed. You did a great job on it and I look forward to seeing the rest of them get finished.