Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fun with snow

So Mason and I (mostly) have been having fun with our snow accumulations much to the entertainment of certain other people like my wife. Not only are snow caves fun to build but they can serve a lifesaving purpose as a shelter from the cold and wind. Ideally they should be not much larger than you are to hold in your body heat. I'm not in the business of merely surviving. Why survive when you can thrive? I have put the finishing touches on today's work at least by leveling floors, smoothing archways and removing excess snow from entry and exit points. It looks like the hardwood floors will be installed after Christmas. I still need to put in the fireplace. It will be comfortable enough for now but I have several expansions planned. The next wing will include some extra space for the kids to have a play area and maybe a study. On to the pictures.


This is the view from the mudroom looking through the den and into the arched foyer. I think the arches have a bold yet elegant look. On the right you can just begin to see the master suite and the kids' room.

Here we can see the den and the back door all the way at the other side of the mudroom.

Here's a better shot of the foyer.
A close up of the foyer archway and the entrances to the living quarters.
Back door.
Front door.

4 comments:

Chell said...

Oh that is hilarious. I am impressed I would have to hang with Amy inside sipping the hot chocolate though!!

Emily said...

You know, the goverment is going to find some way to tax your vacation snow home. =) Did you hear about the guy in UT who was collecting rain water to water his yard and gov. officials said it was illegal and he could not do it anymore. Gotta love it.

Hermana Gracee Sue said...

Deag,

That is so wicked awesome! Way to go. Easily the best snow cave ever. I would put up a for rent sign. FYI, Val got me a 9 LCD flashlight for xmas, every time I use it I miss you more and more.:)

Ashley said...

Where is speds room? He wants to come back, but not until you have adequate space!