Thursday, September 6, 2007

Father knows best


I was trolling the Drudge today and saw that Luciano Pavarotti had passed away. I'm no opera aficionado but I know who he is and I know he's good at what he does. I am also slightly familiar with Nessun Dorma from my Ricks College humanities classes. I did not know that Nessun Dorma was Pavarotti's calling card and I had never heard him sing it. I followed the link on the Drudge and all I can say is Wow with a capital (and bolded) "W". If that does not move you then I can say unequivocally that you do not have a soul. I think I even shed a tear at the end.

Dad probably knows all the dates and times that Mr. Pavarotti performed this song as well as where it was performed and with whom he sang it. He maybe even told me but I probably wasn't listening in History of Opera 101.

Incidentally, Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma was used as the theme song for the 1990 World Cup which apparently was a fantastic Cup. I didn't watch it back in 1990 but it makes me like the song even more.

I tried to figure out putting up the video as a post but my settings aren't working so Luciano will permanently greet you at the top of my blog until I get it figured out. Also, Luciano has demonstrated synergy in the past with people like U2's Bono singing "Miss Sarajevo" but I don't think he melds well with the Beatles, John Denver, or S & G so you may want to turn them off before you view the video.

No comments: